The Objective of the Patrick and Anthony Wright Formation and Education Fund is:
To advance the frontiers of knowledge and the practice of spiritual direction and its dissemination in Australia.
Scope of Fund:
- This is short-term fund and we expect that all funds will be dispersed between 2018 and 2022.
- The full amount to be distributed over this timeframe is $200,000.
- Available funds may be awarded to a single project or spread amongst multiple projects.
All applications are assessed on the basis of the following guiding principles:
- The development and strengthening of the nexus between the academic disciplines and the spiritual direction formation disciplines.
- Preference will be given to projects that undertake or disseminate the findings of original research.
- Funds are to be awarded on merit for excellence.
- Any endeavour should aim to extend, challenge (or even destabilise) the current thought and practice.
- Eligible projects would not have ready access to other funding.
These are offered as examples of projects envisioned by the benefactors but do not exclude other possibilities:
- Provision of financial assistance for Australian students of merit undertaking advanced research in the area of spiritual direction.
- Lectures and workshops by scholars and practitioners of excellence.
- Establish a literary competition:
a) Essays on a determined topic in the area of spiritual direction
b) Nominated topics (e.g. spiritual direction in children and young adults) with the possibility of an open section
c) The Trust could offer a monetary prize and publish the winning essays in a monograph or in another edition of the Anthology of Spiritual Direction.
- Establish a focus of excellence for the advancement and dissemination of studies in spirituality, theology and spiritual direction (and its praxis). This could be an aggregation of folk, in one institution or in a number, committed to this end on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Support a scholar in residence scheme.
- Research programmes:
An example: Spiritual direction of children
i) Childhood development
ii) Spirituality of children
iii) Critique adult models of Spiritual Direction (Schneiders, Rahner, Connolly and others)
iv) Devise models for children
- Any other endeavour decided/discerned by the Trustees consistent with the principles above.